The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Womens Girls Rhinestones Slip On Loafers Casual Hidden Wedge Med Heels shoes HotClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Womens Elegant Pointy Toe High Heels Ankle Strap Casual Work Office Court shoes Womens Embroidered shoes old Peking Ethnic Style Ancient-Costume Round Toe HotGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Women's Europe Open Toe Slippers Summer Mule Slingbacks Sandals Casual shoes Newsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Womens Gladiators Stilettos High Heels Side Zip Strappy Roman Sandals shoes sizeWomens Gothic Platform Wedge Heel Creeper Round Toe Lace UP Shake Oxfords shoes
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Womens European Style Peep Toe Knee High Boots Denim Clear Chunky Heel shoes
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Womens Heels Real Suede Leather Rivets Sandals Slippers Pumps OL shoes FashionWomens High Block Heel shoes Slingbacks Sandals Ankle Strap Hollow Platform SexyWomens High Heel Dress Pointy Toe Heels Stilettos Leopard Slip on shoes Spring
Thunder Snow (20-1):Womens Fashion ankle strapp Buckle stilettos high heels sandals shoes party lady This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- gold Silver Black Single Sole High Heels Metallic Strap Faux Leather Suede
- LL Bean Moccasins SIZE 13D Leather Stitched Outsole
- NEW DELTA PLUS MENS LIGHTWEIGHT STEEL TOE CAP SAFETY WORK ANKLE BOOTS SIZE 6
- Propet Women's June Slide Sandal, tan, 7 Medium US
- shoes Asics Gel-Contend 5 Size 4.5 Uk Code 1012A234-001 -9W
- Vans Authentic Classic digi hula clsc white true white
- Womens Beige Taupe You Walk Skechers Trainers shoes Size 5 Lace Up Flex NEW
- Men's shiny pure color Slip On loafer Round Toe Formal Casual Dress shoes
- Viking Girls’ Vendela Jr. W Fleece Sock Wellington Boots Black (Black 2) UK
- Brown Emulsions with beige pomp SP04P Beige
- Botines - Xti Basics black women Sintético 033965 16005823
- CLEARANCE SALE Pierre Cardin Eloise – Taffy Sandals – 50% Off
- HIGH HEELS STIEFEL DAMENSCHUHE DESIGNER NEU Gr 41 Weinred 1115
- KEEN COZY LEATHER SUEDE, SIENNA, NUBUCK MARY JANES (4 AVAIL) 8.5 (NEW & USED)
- NWOB SEYCHELLES Tan Leather Ankle Boots shoes Fold Down Cuff Women's Size 9
- JOYA Susan Bronze By Kari Muller Leather Comfort Walking shoes Sandals US SZ 7
- Propet Womens Tour Walker White Berry Walking shoes Size 8.5 (250463)
- Medieval Leather Boots Reenactment Mens shoes Sca Role Play Costume Boot New Year
- Womens Elastic Sock Boots Round Toe Mid-Calf Suede Booties Block Low Heel shoes
- Womens Chelsea Studded Ankle Boots Winter Low Heel Bling Casual Ladies Shoes
- Womens Roman Strappy Platform Conceal Wedge Heels Back Zip Summer Sandals shoes